A Glorious Heritage

SYAS, Singapore, with a glorious history beginning in 1907, is a product of a merger between San Yu High School and the Seventh-day Adventist School.

1907 Malaya Mission of Seventh-day Adventists started Eastern Training School in a Mount Pleasant house off Thomson Road. After several relocations, the school eventually settled at 273A Upper Serangoon Road.
1929 The name of the school was changed to Malayan Seminary of Seventh-day Adventists
1938 The name of the school was changed to Union Training School 
1942 – 1945 The Japanese occupied Singapore and classes were halted
1945 Studies resumed in October
1948 Union Training School began to offer Primary One to Senior Cambridge courses
1949 Union Training School began to offer College level courses
The name of the school was changed to Malayan Union Seminary
1958 Southeast Asia Union CollegeUnion Training School began to offer College level courses
The name of the school was again changed to Southeast Asia Union College (SAUC)
Southeast Asia Union CollegeSan Yu High School (SYHS) was set up by the West Malaysia-Singapore Mission, offering Primary and Secondary courses
1961 Southeast Asia Union CollegeBy regulation of Ministry of Education, the Primary and Secondary sections of SAUC adopted the name Seventh-day Adventist School (SDAS), thus precipitating a separation from the SAUC college section. As a result, each section had its own governing board.
1962 The administration of SYHS was handed over to the Seventh-day Adventist Chinese Church
1970 SYHS started its Pre-University Arts Stream
1980 SYHS started its Pre-University Commerce Stream 
1982 SYHS was appointed an examination centre for GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ Levels examinations 
1995 Pre-university classes in SYHS were discontinued in 1995
1996 Southeast Asia Union CollegeIn view of the Upper Serangoon Road land acquisition by the Government for the construction of the North-East MRT line, SDAS and SYHS boards voted unanimously for a merger. This new entity was named San Yu Adventist School (SYAS).
2000 – Present SYAS moved to 299 Thomson Road

Today, SYAS is a commercially self-sustained institution owned and operated by the Singapore Seventh-day Adventist Conference. It is part of the Seventh-day Adventist worldwide educational system that includes more than 7000 schools and 1.7 million students in 115 countries.

As Singapore’s only private educational institution offering both Primary and Secondary level classes, SYAS is able to administer the Singapore curriculum via a pedagogy that is not only uniquely holistic, but Christian. The school has been awarded a 4-year EduTrust Certification by the Committee for Private Education (CPE).