In line with Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act, SYAS has our own Data Protection Committee (DPC). Problems relating to the collection and disclosure of personal data can be raised through the following channels:
Tel: 6256 6840
Email: [email protected]
In person: With our DPC officer at the school
For all cases, it will take the DPC 21 working days to investigate and provide a reply.
Data Protection Committee
Business Manager – Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Administrative Assistant (HR)
Overview and Scope
Your personal data privacy is important to us and San Yu Adventist School Limited (“SYAS”) is highly committed in respecting and managing your Personal Data collected in line with this Policy.
When and what kind of Personal Data do we collect?
SYAS may collect, use and disclose the following data about you:
- When applying for admission and enrolment at SYAS;
- When you provide Personal Data by filling in feedback form on our website when giving feedback, asking queries and job applications, requests and submissions;
- If and when you contact SYAS, we may keep a record of that correspondence including the possible recording of any telephone calls you may make to us;
- Details of your visits to our website including, but not limited to, cookies, location data, weblogs and other communication data, that you access;
- If and when you respond to any of SYAS’s marketing promotions or newsletters;
- When you fill up job application forms to apply for a job at SYAS;
- If you participate in any event or activity organised by SYAS;
- If you are selected to be a motivational speaker to SYAS students.
SYAS may collect the following kinds of Personal Data through the different channels mentioned above:
- Date of Birth;
- Mailing addresses;
- Email addresses;
- Telephone numbers;
- ID/Passport numbers and copies;
- Educational and employment history and professional qualifications, including and testimonials and references;
- Medical, legal and bankruptcy history;
- Next of Kin, family or guardian information;
- Photos and CCTV/videos;
- Bank account details and statements,; and
- Curricula Vitae.
What purposes does SYAS Collect, Use and Disclose Personal Data?
SYAS may use the information we collect from you for any of the following purposes:
- To determine suitability for admission and enrolment at SYAS;
- To perform or carry out SYAS’s obligations arising from any student’s admission and enrolment at SYAS or enrolment at San Yu Alumni association;
- To enable SYAS’s subcontractors, third-party agents and service providers, to fulfil obligations arising from any student’s admission and enrolment at SYAS;
- To enable SYAS to make visa applications on behalf of students to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (“ICA”);
- To enable SYAS to help students apply for accident and medical insurance;
- To handle requests and enquiries (including payments);
- To administer and update student records in SYAS’s databases; monitoring and maintaining copies of student records;
- To allow communications between SYAS and student’s parents and guardians;
- To select motivational speakers to speak to current SYAS students;
- To allow for tracking of graduate outcomes;
- To administer and facilitate travel and activities arrangements;
- To facilitate the delivery, maintenance and enhancement of SYAS’ services, programmes and events;
- To plan, monitor, and enhance the provision of new services, projects, programmes and events;
- To improve SYAS’s customer service through your feedback;
- To process your enquiries and any and all other ancillary administrative purposes;
- To send regular e-newsletters;
- For communications, marketing and publicity purposes;
- For promotion of SYAS to local and overseas churches;
- For government, audit and other regulatory purposes;
- For recruitment and evaluation purposes if you apply for a job with SYAS, i.e. to determine job suitability;
- For security, surveillance and monitoring purposes;
- For reporting to Adventist Accrediting Association (“AAA”) and Adventist Church;
- For internal reporting and/or accounting purposes; and
- Purposes incidental to each or all of the above.
We may also contact you by any means of communication for which you have given us contact details, including but not limited to via email, telephone numbers, and post, for the purpose of getting your feedback or for providing you with information which we believe could be of interest to you or your organisation.
By your submission of your Personal Data to us, you consent to the onward disclosure of your Personal Data to these agents or service providers and the processing of your Personal data by these agents or service providers.
Consent for the collection and use of my Personal Data
In this regard, please note that it is on your part to ensure that all personal data submitted to us is complete, accurate, true and correct at the time of submission. Failure on your part to do so may result in our inability to provide you with products and services you have requested.
Please note that if you do not consent to any of the above business purposes, SYAS may also be unable to meet the purposes for which the information was collected.
Does SYAS disclose Personal Data to third parties?
SYAS may disclose your Personal Data to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in the Companies Act (Cap. 50).
On occasion, SYAS may use third party agents and service providers to assist us in the use of your Personal Data as outlined under "What purposes does SYAS Collect, Use and Disclose Personal Data?" You consent to such use of your Personal Data by continuing to browse on SYAS’s website.
SYAS will not transfer Personal Data within or outside Singapore unless it is ensured that the Personal Data will be accorded a level of protection which is comparable to the protection under the PDPA.
For how long does SYAS retain my Personal Data?
SYAS will cease to retain Personal Data, as soon as it is reasonable to assume that the purpose for collection of such personal data is no longer being served by such retention, and such retention is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
When you visit any of SYAS’s websites, SYAS may collect or analyse anonymized information from which individual information will not be identified. The information collected may include the number of users and the amount of time they stay on our website, which countries they are from, and what mode of device they are currently using to view our website, as well as domain information that helps us to learn our client’s profile, the frequency of viewing. We use this information to improve our website’s content and navigation.
Note that our cookies do not have an expiration date and do not collect personally identifiable information.
How does SYAS protect your Personal Data?
SYAS implements a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your submitted information. All electronic storage and transmission of personal data is secured and stored on managed servers with controlled access and appropriate security technologies.
Although every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that all personal data will be so protected, SYAS cannot be responsible for any unauthorised use or misuse of such information and from risks which are inherent in all internet communications.
Your Personal Data will only be disclosed for the express purpose of delivering the product or service requested and shall not be sold or disclosed to any other company for any other reason whatsoever without your consent.
Links to third party websites from SYAS’s website
Access and Correction of Personal Data
Please contact us via [email protected]should you wish to have access to or seek to update, correct or withdraw the consent to collect and use your Personal Data. Your email should identify yourself and state which Personal Data and information about its use and/or disclosure is requested.
SYAS reserves the right to change this Policy with or without notice from time to time.