If you have questions regarding our school or student admissions, below are some of our commonly asked questions. Alternatively, you can contact us via email or call us.
1. What’s the school term in SYAS like?
SYAS follows the school terms set by Ministry of Education (MOE) except for Preparatory Primary courses. Generally, the school year begins in the first week of January and concludes end-October for secondary levels and mid-November for Primary levels.
|Term 1||January to first or second week of March|
|Term 2||Mid-March to end-May|
|Term 3||End-June or July to first or second week of September|
|Term 4||Secondary Level: Mid-September to end-October
Primary Level: Mid-September to mid-November
As dates for each school term varies every year, please refer to our school calendar here. Schedules are subjected to change. The school will inform parent/guardian on the changes if any.
2. What academic levels are taught at SYAS?
SYAS offers courses from Primary 1 to Secondary 4 (ages 7 to 19). Do note that there is no new student admission into Primary 6 and Secondary 4 courses.
3. What will my child/ward be awarded after completing their Primary/Secondary education with SYAS?
- Students who do not complete the Primary or Secondary programmes will be issued a Letter of Certificate upon request.
- Students who completed their Primary education and participated in the PSLE will be awarded with a PSLE certificate by the Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore.
- Students who completed their Secondary education and participated in the ‘O’ Level examination will be awarded with an ‘O’ Level certificate by MOE.
4. Does SYAS offer IB syllabus?
5. What subjects are taught at SYAS?
6. What is the Teacher to Student ratio for each class?
|Primary 1 to Primary 2||1 teacher : 30 students|
|Primary 3 to Secondary 4||1 teacher : 35 students|
7. Is Bible Subject compulsory?
Yes. Bible class, chapel service, daily prayers are part and parcel of SYAS culture and life.
8. Can my child take Chinese language?
If your child is a Chinese, he/she must take Chinese language as a second language.
9. When can we register?
San Yu Adventist School (SYAS) conducts placement test at least once a month for 2018 registration (subject to changes without prior notification).
Please refer to 2018 Registration Schedule for more information
Registration will cease once vacancy is filled.
10. Can I register my child/ward for admission in the latter half of the year?
SYAS does not take in any students during the latter part of the year (July onwards) as there are only two more school terms to the final year examination. We strongly encourage parents to enrol their children at the beginning of the school year to allow ample time for students’ optimal learning.
11. How much is the school fees?
Please refer to our fee payment for more information on fee payment for each course.
Note: School fees are revised on an annual basis.
12. How do I apply to SYAS?
Please refer to Application Process for more information on the admission requirements and application procedure to join SYAS.
13. My child/ward completed Kindergarten/Primary school/ International school (PYP) overseas, can my child/ward apply to SYAS?
Your child/ward will need to take and pass a placement test and interview.
Please refer to our Admission Prerequisites for more information
14. Can my child/ward from Normal stream in Government School apply to SYAS?
To apply to Secondary 1, the child must attain a PSLE score of 165 points or more.
To apply to Secondary 2, the child must pass Secondary 1 NA (Normal Academic) with 75% or pass SYAS placement test.
To apply to Secondary 3, the child must pass Secondary 2 NA with 75% or pass SYAS placement test.
We do not accept students from the Normal Technical stream.
15. Does my child/ward need to take a placement test and interview?
Applicants who have not studied in a Singapore government or government-aided school and are seeking admission to SYAS must take the placement tests (English and Mathematics) and undergo an interview. This excludes applicants who completed their school term with a Singapore government or government-aided school following MOE, Singapore, syllabus, and attained a pass result.
16. How should my child/ward prepare for the placement test?
Students applying for SYAS will have to prepare for their placement test in English and Mathematics.
Your child/ward may purchase assessment books from any Singapore book store to prepare for their placement test. The level of difficulty of the placement test is dependent on the level your child/ward is applying for.
For example, placement test for Primary 5 is based on Primary 4 English and Mathematics curriculum.
17. When will the placement test result be released?
Results will be released to parents/guardian 1 to 2 months from the date the applicant takes the placement test.
18. How do assess my child?
Based on the child’s interview and placement test results. Selection is based on availability and merit. No grade will be given, only “successful or unsuccessful” application will be informed through email.
19. How many times can I take the placement test?
A maximum of 2 times for each level in each academic year.
20. If my child is holding a Student’s Pass (STP) and is now studying in another private school, what’s the procedure to follow when the application to SYAS is successful?
SYAS will apply for a transfer of STP through ICA. Processing time takes about 2 to 4 weeks.
21. Can SYAS apply for the accompanying pass for parents?
SYAS will only apply for the STP for the child. Parents can check with the ICA on their eligibility for the accompanying pass and submit the application themselves. It is the ICA’s discretion to approve or reject the application.
22. Can I (the parent) be the guardian of my child?
Yes, if you are holding a valid pass (Dependent Pass, Long Time Visit Pass, Employment Pass).
23. Do I need to apply for a student's pass if my child is on a dependent pass/long term visit pass?
Yes. Even though your child is on a Dependent Pass, the school will need to receive a Letter of Consent (LOC) for your child to study in SYAS. The application for the LOC is the same as applying for a new student's pass. You can choose either options for Student's Pass Application offered by SYAS.
24. How many nationalities are represented at SYAS?
Our students arrive from all over the world, including Singapore.
25. Is food provided at SYAS?
Yes, food will be provided by SYAS for our students.
26. Does my child/ward have to wear school uniform?
Yes. All students are required to wear the school uniform. SYAS will inform parents/guardian whenever there is a special event that does not require the student to wear the school uniform.
27. Is my child’s/ward’s attendance important?
Yes. SYAS has a strict attendance policy and strongly discourages students from being absent without a valid reason.
When the child's attendance falls below 90%, the school will have to inform ICA (for International students) and follow up with parents or guardians.
28. Is there school bus services provided by the school?
No, there is no school bus services provided at the moment. However the school is exploring the feasibility of having one.
29. What is the dismissal time for students?
It varies depending on the child's timetable.
30. How can I be an agent of SYAS?
Please refer to our Student Recruitment Agents Application page for more information on the agent selection criteria and application procedure.